At our recent Whatcom Falls Neighborhood Association meeting, we started to make a list of various issues raised by the citizens of the Neighborhood. We had a discussion on the most significant issues for our next meeting.
Since then I have talked with a few others, and added a couple more items to the list. These are some loose ideas, and some topics may overlap.
I thought that other people in the community may be interested also, and may want to even think about their preferred top 3 or 4 issues from their own neighborhood.
The next ABN meeting, we may have some time to discuss common concerns shared by all of us.
Have some discussions on which issues at ABN meetings we should tackle next. . .
 Common Neighborhood Issues
 ABN voting of March 2002
- Planning for Increased Density (9)
- Traffic (7)
- Comprehensive Planning between the neighborhoods (6)
- Updating individual neighborhood plans (6)
- Zoning (6)
- Participation (5)
- Supporting neighborhood business (5)
- Crime (4)
- Bad property managers (3)
- Code Violations (2)
- Community meeting and activity space (2)
- Inappropiate handling of disputes/disagreements (2)
- Safety (1)
Others (with no votes)
- Sex offenders in neighborhoods
- Undeveloped little pockets of land
- working more effectively/cooperating with school district
 Sunnyland meeting topics
- Grant Street Traffic
- James Street Traffic and crossing James Street is unsafe for pedestrian traffic.
- College Rentals/Parties/Upkeep of Rentals specifically Lakeway Realty
- The DOT site at northend of Neighborhood
- St. Joe's impacts to north part of neighborhood
- Assumption Traffic on Ellis, Virginia, Kentucky
- What's going on with the Red Apple?
- More Street Trees in the Neighborhood...this got a major approval from all in attendance! Let's pretty up the Neighborhood!!!
- Industrial Zoning/Residential Zoning Compatibility? Appropriate Uses etc.
- CDI Currently had Code Violations
 Whatcam Falls meeting raised issues & others
 Topics or issues raised at various meetings, ABN, Forum, other N.A.
- Green Energy
- ABN principles and goals, Bylaws, Standing Rules: Review and updates
- Recruiting new members of neighborhood areas not currently represented in ABN. ( i.e. Mt. Baker, WWU, County, UGA's, CBD, etc...)
- Encourage participation between neighborhoods on community building and sharing.
- Proposal for ABN small simple grant ?
- ABN voice/video recording of the meetings ? (buy equipment?)
- Shared resources for neighborhoods
- Increased neighborhood communication
- Increased Community / Neighborhood activities * spirit of bringing people together.
- 'Community Center/Local neighborhood business' awareness, education and development.
- Block Watch information, training, and implementation in high need areas.
- Concern about Bellingham population trends, ways of managing growth.
- Review and Updates: State/City Comprehensive Plan
- Informing and educating neighborhood citizens about New Development in local neighborhood.
- Understanding zoning, process for zoning updates, and regulations.
- Education on how to maintain community neighborhood character.
- Review and Updates: Neighborhood Plans review and updates
- Improvements in alternative transportation, and educational efforts - (WSDOT Choices)
- Whatcom Transit Authority (WTA) - bus routes, transfer locations, and scheduling
- Historic home, tours, or Neighborhood designations.
- Management of 'Open Space' or undeveloped land.
- Visions of specific use parks, such as skate board, swimming, golf, fish, etc..
- Greenways levy information / presentation
- School Bond issue information / presentation.
- CERT: Community Emergency Response Training & Education
- Regular (weekly?Monthly) reminder emails of Neighborhood 'tips' (i.e. safety, security, etc)
- Hospital Expansion & future plans
- Traffic-expanding arterials
- Managing local neighborhood vandalism, crime, safety, and security issues.
- Planning for increasing population density and into UGAs or county.
- Improvements in traffic or motorized vehicle areas.
- Concerns about increase in building and development.
- Permit and contractor process for owners of existing building renovation/restoration
- Improvements in sidewalks or other pedestrian areas.
- Enforcement of building, security, and fire codes * county vs. city codes ?
- Managing Rodent issues (i.e. increase of rats in/around residential areas, how to avoid)
- Methods in handling bad property managers
- Improving community recreational spaces, such as parks, trails, etc..
- Reporting and tracking code violations
- Mediating/resolving neighbor disputes/disagreements
- Increase in community meeting and activity space
- Local sex offenders awareness
- Working more effectively/cooperating with school districts;
- Increase in local issue advocacy
- Advocacy issues with COB committees.
- Planning Office Director Search status update.
- Review by-laws/standing rules on non-members holding office.
- Review UGA numbers/descriptions, (i.e. Smith / Larabaree spring (incorrect numbers?))